In 1832, Thomas Need built the biggest lumber mill in Bobcaygeon on the Sturgeon Pigeon narrows. The mill continued to operate until the early 1900’s, long after other mills in the Kawartha Lakes had closed. Need turned the mill over to Mossom Boyd to manage it in the 1840’s as he continued on to other businesses.
These men played a key role in development of the area, including steps taken towards building the famous Trent Severn Waterway. Public boat launches are located on the north end off of Front St. East, on the south end by the bridge, along County Road 14, and at Emily Provincial Park.
The surface Area is approximately 5,344 hectors (13,200 acres) the max depth is approximately 17.4 m (57feet) and the average depth is 3 m (9.8feet).