Buckhorn Lake in the Kawartha’s was first settled by John Hall. He built a sawmill and dam in 1827 and displayed a large collection of deer antlers on the outer walls of the mill, giving the lake the name buckhorn. The lake also seems to be shaped similar to a buck head with antlers on each side.
Buckhorn Lake is the sixth-largest of the Kawarthas lakes.
Boat launches are located at Lock 31-3410 Peterborough County Road 23, Trent Lakes, ON, Reach Harbour marina-2360 Armstrong Ln E, Lakefield, and Beachwood Resort in Deer Bay-3043 Beachwood Dr, Lakefield.
The max depth of the lake is approximately 15 m (51 feet) and the average depth is 3.5 m (11.4 feet). The surface area of the lake is 1252 hectares (3092 acres).